FIND THE COMMONALITY.

Each year, teachers and educational technology pioneers meet for the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) conference.  This year’s conference took place this week in San Antonio.  There were many notable announcements that will transform the teaching and learning experience this upcoming school year.  This week, I reflected on the importance of providing students with opportunities to practice their presentation skills in the L2 classroom.  Let’s take a look at how some of these emerging technologies will help teachers provide deliberate practice in the area of presenting. 

But first, let’s investigate why that is even important…

My maternal grandfather was a Catholic priest. My paternal grandfather worked at Standard Oil.  My father practices commercial litigation.  My father-in-law owns a small pizza shop.  My husband is a lighting and electrical architectural engineer.  I teach 2nd grade.   

All of the jobs mentioned are the fruit of very different paths.  It might be difficult for some people to see the link between all of these careers, but there is one very clear link: all of these jobs require strong communication and presentation skills. 

No matter what you do, no matter your background, you need to be able to present in a clear and focused manner.

My maternal grandfather presented homilies to his congregation.  My paternal grandfather presented statistical analysis at Standard Oil.  My father presents his case to a judge and a jury.  My father-in-law presents business propositions to potential vendors.  My husband presents his drawings and plans to clients.  As a teacher, presentations are a part of everyday life.  I present lessons to my students, data to my administrators, information to the parents of my students, professional development to my colleagues, and proposals to the technology committee.   Each of us have been successful in our careers because of our ability to clearly articulate our point of view to our clients, superiors, and customers. 

Two of the above-mentioned family members came to America in search of a better life.  
Technology was not available to either of them as they learned how to not only speak English, but also how to speak English in the context of their trade.  Today’s emerging technologies support students who are learning to speak English and to present in a particular field.  It is up to teachers to provide opportunities to master these concepts.

Google announced its Google Earth Voyager program at ISTE 2017.  This will allow students to take virtual and interactive field trips online.  For L2 learners, this would be an incredible presentation opportunity.  Students can see a 360 degree view of places all around the world.  L2 learners could educate their classmates about their culture with this technology to support their presentation.  Just look at the way Google Hangouts broke down barriers to take students to new places.


I am energized by conferences such as these.  My inner nerd head is spinning with the possibilities and new ways to transform student learning.  Still, there are some skeptics to educational technology.  I argue that these skeptics are looking at educational technology in the wrong way.  Educational technology does NOT replace teachers.  It simply enhances the learning experience.  It provides opportunities for teachers to reach all learners exactly at their instructional level in each subject.

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post! What a great way to incorporate your own family history into the lives of the students we teach. I get very excited and energized from conferences and personal time studying up on new and improved technology resources that are available to the Edtech community. Google Earth Voyager sounds like an amazing program that I could use with my 2nd graders as well. I am not sure what reading curriculum you use, but we use Journey's and there is a story we do called "Schools Around the World". This program would be an excellent resource to use with the story!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts